Friday, June 6, 2008

My Mother the Orchid

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in April. She was devastated by it, but through it all she has shown exceptional courage, resilience and faith. She was compared to an orchid by her sister Wendy. When Wendy and my mom were in Washington D.C. together, they went to the botanical gardens and marveled at the orchids. The flowers are known for not only their unique beauty, but their adaptability to all climates, and their resiliency to adverse conditions. This is exactly like my mom! After losing her brother to cancer recently, she was so scared. Luckily the cancer was caught very early and had not spread. On Tuesday night we had a family dinner together, the brothers and my dad gave her a blessing, we started a fast, then went to a session at the temple. It was the perfect place to be, and she felt a lot of comfort. She underwent a bilateral mastectomy on Wednesday, in which she did marvelously and is already home and doing well. She has tremendous faith and trust in the Lord. She is the very best mom and grandma that anyone could ever hope for, and I'm so glad I have her in my life!

7 comments:

shannon said...

hey girl...we are thinking and praying for your mom!!! please tell her hello for me, and please let her know we are thinking of her!! :)

Jody said...

I love your mom!! I am so glad that everything went well and she is doing good. Please tell her that she is in our prayers.

Scott & Tami said...

wow...your mom is amazing ....I remember the day I found out I had cancer....I was stoked that I didn't have to finish out the rest of the school year....at 13 I didn't understand how much better finishing out the school year would have been. My parents were amazing and I had the greatest support system....and I'm still kickin'!!! I know it was from all the blessings I'd received and the faith of those around me.

fijiangirl said...

I am so glad to hear things are going well for your mom. It is hard to watch a parent go through health challenges. Even though we are all grown up we still think of our parents are invincible. Please know that your family is in our prayers

Steph Kjelstrom said...

I used to work in an oncology clinic and the patients I met there were some of the most amazing people. All of them strong and willing to fight the fight. I'm glad your mom's surgery went well-the best part is she has her family to support her through this.

Jen & George Scott said...

I totally agree with you... your mom is amazing. We will pray for her!!! Give her a big hug from us!

Da Denninghoff's said...

Thank you for sharing Mandi. It builds my faith hearing others faith promoting stories. Thank you, send our love to your mom for us.